Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, May 12, 2017

"Afraid"?

"But when I am afraid, I will put my trust in you." (Psalm 56:3, NLT)

Every month when I come to this section of the Psalms I am captured by the titles in the NIV & NLT: 
    Psalm 56:         "A Dove on Distant Oaks
    Psalms 57-59:  "Do Not Destroy"
    Psalm 60:        "The Lily of the Covenant," or, "Testimony)"
One can say with a great degree of accuracy that David spent most of his life "running for his life."  He probably felt like "A Dove on Distant Oaks."  No wonder he wrote about "Do Not Destroy."

Religious people tend to glorify David (as they do all "super saints") as the great "shepherd-king" of Israel, giant slayer, mighty warrior, which can be charismatic code for, "perfect, no problems, no fears," or, "I-want-to-be-like-him/her."  Such appraisal comes from letting other people do their Bible reading for them.  For far too many, the only Bible reading they do is when the Scriptures for the sermons/teachings are put up on the screen.  Erroneous theology, and outright heresy and disillusionment feeds on such a life style in the Church.

David says, "afraid," three times in Psalm 56.  Notice some of the other words in context:  "hounding me, attack me, slander me, harm me, twisting what I say, plotting to harm me, kill me."  Here is the simple, yet powerful prayer he prayed when faced with such: "Don't let them get away with their wickedness...."  (I pray this, too, for the nations.)

Now most people are too proud to admit to, "afraid."  But worry, for instance, is a sort of clandestine, "afraid."  We can use prettier words such as apprehension, anxiety, tension, but they all come back to, "But when I am afraid...." 

Ah, but then we have the great declaratory faith/trust/confidence of David, and may it be the same for you and me, "But when I am afraid, I will put my trust in You."  I like how the NLT translates the next verse, "I praise God for what He has promised."  The NKJV puts it this way several times: "In God (I will praise His Word)....In God (I will praise His Word), in the Lord (I will praise His Word), in God I have put my trust; (therefore) I will not be afraid."  This is Central Biblical Theology.

David's trust and confidence was, "The Word of God," Who is Jesus, "The Lord is my Shepherd," Jesus, the One, "....God...has promised."  David's life and trust was based upon, "I praise God for what He has promised," i.e., "The Word of God," Who, "became flesh," and Whose Words are, "dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock"---- Words.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I say with David, "What time I am afraid (anxious, worried), I will trust in You."  Amen.
************************
* I know in recent years we have been sharing about the Berlin Mission earlier, which can lead to the "crying-wolf" syndrome.  We pray it does not with you.  Europe is becoming more of a challenge.
* You can access the devotional any time at: 
   apfdevotionals.blogspot.com
* The News, Commentary Blog at:
   jhs58.blogspot.com  (New article today)
When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive