Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, May 9, 2017

"....So That [We] May Have Fellowship...."

"We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with usAnd our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son, Jesus ChristWe write this to make our joy complete." (1 John 1:3, 4--NIV)

And how are you doing today?  It is mid day here in the Eastern Time Zone, and nearly half of the "normal" work day is past.  I have been doing these devotionals for over 15 years and realized today that these are for me sort of "pastoral letters."  In something like a "spiritual aptitude test" years ago, my results revealed that my "primary gift" is pastoral, and my "motivational gift" is prophetic.  Whatever weight the others in the "test" put on it, I had to concur with the results.  I know that most of you have pastors, and some of you are pastors.  Maybe all I'm saying is, I'm here for you to share whatever you would wish, "....so that [we]...may have fellowship...."

Today's text is that which I plan to speak about in the annual Prayer Breakfast here in Johnstown tomorrow.  I intend to say that, "fellowship...with the Father and with His Son, Jesus Christ", is the primary intent of prayer.  Our text also reveals, however, that fellowship is central not only to our relationship in the Godhead, but also in the Church.  Amidst all the "programs" and "activities" and meetings, a great reason for the Church is, "....that you also may have fellowship with us....We write this to make our joy complete."  Note: The word for, "fellowship," literally means, "participation," also, "communion, contributory help" (I really like that).

I had a great time this past Saturday with some of the men of our local church.  It reminded me of something Charles Simpson once shared.  He was out on a boat on a Saturday with some of the men of the church and wondered, "I wonder where Jesus would be most comfortable, here on this boat, or tomorrow morning in our church service?" 

Father, in Jesus' Name, I thank You that You have included me in, "....fellowship...the Father and with His Son, Jesus Christ."  Amen.
***************************
When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive