Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, May 8, 2017

"I Like You" (Jesus)


"One thing you lack: Go your way, sell whatever you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, take up the cross, and follow Me."  (Mark 10:21)

It seems as though the young man did not hear the contrast between his riches and, "....treasure in heaven...."  I also wonder if our Lord Jesus may have been saying to this young man, "Get rid of your riches so that I can be your Riches."

I really ask that you pray for me as I speak at a local annual prayer breakfast.  Many who will be there are local political leaders, business people, some who probably do not know Jesus.  They are as the business man in our text, relatively wealthy, perhaps many are "self-made," many who are of those, "who trust in uncertain riches." It is a tremendous opportunity; pray that I don't "blow it."

As I read our text today, I was reminded of just what a glorious Gospel we have, "....so great a salvation."  The 06:30-08:00 gathering this coming Wednesday, May 10, is called a "prayer breakfast," and my emphasis will be on what the Lord Jesus spoke to my heart so very many years ago.  I asked Jesus, in a non religious wording, "Why do you want us to pray so much?"  The response was also very non "religiousese" answer, "Because I like you."  I shall never forget that response.  Jesus, "Immanuel, God with us," telling me that He likes me.  There was a sort of, "With fervent desire I have desired to eat this Passover with you...," in the whole scenario.  I really to not believe it is untrue to Scripture to write it this way, "With fervent desire I have desired... you."  We can also hear this in, "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem...!  How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!"  Jerusalem, indeed, the whole human race, has been guilty of walking in religious cliches and activity rather than, "....I want[] to gather [you]...under [My] wings."

O, the religious will be quick to point out, "O, no, Jesus would not say, 'Because I like you.'  He would say, 'Because I love you.'"  We have got to get out of "post-Garden" religion.  I believe our Lord Jesus was saying to me what He is saying to all those who, "follow the Lamb wherever He goes."  He just likes being with us, abiding in us, talking, fellowshipping, yes, spending the time enjoying each other, as in the Garden, "in the cool of the day."  Evangelicalism has placed so much emphasis on the aspect of forgiveness in our relationship in the Godhead that it has, for the most part, forgotten the purpose of forgiveness-- Fellowship, "Abide in Me and I in you." 

So, when that "prayer time" is over, when you go about the rest of your day, always remember that our Lord Jesus likes you, enjoys the times of speaking together, whether in words or in thoughts.  And when we say that, "Amen," to our prayers, remember that it is not over until the next worship service, the next quiet time.  It is, "And He walks with me and He talks with me, and He tells me I am His own." 

Father, in Jesus' Name, I so want the, "I like you," relationship.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2


--
Posted By Antipas Prayer Force: to Antipas Prayer Force Devotionals at 5/08/2017 01:42:00 PM

Blog Archive