Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

"....Flourishing In The House of God"

"But I am like an olive tree flourishing in the house of God; I trust in God's unfailing love forever and ever." (Psalm 52:8, NIV)

These words are life; these words are power.  This declaration tells us who we are in Jesus Christ.  At times we do not seem, "flourishing in the house of God", but do not argue with, "The Word of God."  There is a great truth that what seems to me is not what is.

What I like about the NIV is it's introductory statements for some of the Psalms.  "Psalm 52-- For the director of music.  A maskil of David.  When Doeg the Edomite had gone to Saul and told him: 'David has gone to the house of Ahimelek.'"  This reveals that the Psalms were written in "the real world," not by some Sunday School literature company, not for sermonizing.  David was unaware of the aforementioned.  What he was not unaware of, however, was the fight for his life.  His enemy had just been given intelligence as to David's whereabouts.  Saul was not just trash-talking him, or gossiping about him.  He was out to kill David, and David was running for his life.  Yet, in the midst of it all, David could still declare, "But I am like an olive tree flourishing in the house of God; I trust in God's unfailing love forever and ever."----- and ever and ever.

Frankly, if the Bible were just what so many make of it, I would be as Paul said, "of all men most miserable."  47 years ago I did not need a sermon, a Bible study topic, or to argue the inspiration of Scripture, or whether Peter actually did pen 2 Peter.  I needed/need life.  I needed impartation, viz., the very, "words of God," written, "in [my] heart[] and in [my] mind[]."  I needed/need, "For the Word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword...."
  I did not need a "pep talk;"  I needed that which our Lord Jesus Christ, "The Word of God," describes of His Words, "For they are life to those who find them, and medicine to all their flesh."

I don't mean to rail on people who take medications for depression.  Our GP at the time told Sarah after Stephen died that if she needed anything, let him know.  He meant well and we were and are still thankful for him, but she did not take him up on the offer.  We both needed what I discovered then and still realize over all these years, Jesus Himself, dwelling and ruling in us as the very, "Words of God," Himself.  In the heat of life's struggles, conflicts, battles, however anyone wishes to describe what the Bible calls, "warfare," when "Doeg the Edomite" betrays you and Saul is out to kill you, never forget that you and I are, "....like an olive tree flourishing in the House of God...."

Father, in Jesus' Name, "I trust in [Your] unfailing love for ever and ever", and Your Unfailing Words.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive