Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, October 7, 2013

Proverbs 6 & 7

"....a person who stirs up conflict in the community....With persuasive words she led him astray; she seduced him with her smooth talk."  (Proverbs 6:19 & 7:21, NIV)

Both passages speak of the ruin of individuals and destruction of local congregations.  America is rife with those, "who stir[] up conflict in the community," and those who lead people, "astray", e.g., news media, universities, Hollywood, cynics, false teachers of Christendom.

The Proverbs 6 text is one of the seven, "things the Lord hates."  It is a very rare local church which does not have such people among them; I can think of none I served who lacked them.  Some perhaps would say that I did so because of my preaching or uncompromising stand on things; I'm open.  But it behooves us all to work at avoiding the things which our Lord Jesus Christ, "hates."  We cannot prosper without the King's, the Bridegroom's approval.

The Proverbs 7 text is one of the trilogy warnings against adultery in Proverbs 5-7.  But can we see the subtlety of seductive words in general, "persuasive words," which lead us astray and are everywhere and in every aspect of our cultures.  The Biblical remedy is in the continual command of proverbs, "My son, keep your father's command and do not forsake your mother's teachingBind them always on your heart; fasten them around your neckWhen you walk, they will guide you; when you sleep, they will watch over you; when you awake, they will speak to you For this command is a lamp, this teaching is a light, and correction and instruction are the way to life" (Proverbs 6:20-23).  For me, I can see a literal application concerning my parents.  Their counsel was always correct, always Jesus-Word-of-God centered; I only wish I had taken it all to heart.  But the Eternal Word, Jesus, and His Words are literally continually before us.  We have Eternal Counsel in the Eternal Counselor, Jesus.  We have absolutely no excuse for sin.  The only regret comes when we realize the Word of God in effect is telling us, "I told you so."

The Blessed Trinity in the
Proverbs is still warning us, encouraging us, comforting us with the great command, "Bind them (my Words) always on your heart; fasten them around your neckWhen you walk, they will guide you; when you sleep, they will watch over you; when you awake, they will speak to you."  Indeed, "They are life to those who find them, and medicine to their whole flesh."

Father, in Jesus'
Name, what more can I say?  Thank You.  Amen.

 
When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive