Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Proverbs 9

"Do not correct a scoffer, lest he hate you; rebuke a wise man, and he will love you." (Proverbs 9:8)

I was talking with my Parents once about my favorite elementary school teacher.  Dad said in effect, "Notice who people refer to as their favorite teacher.  It is always the one who expected the most and exercised discipline."  For me, that is true of teachers, coaches, and my scout leader.  But there were certainly times when the, "correct[ion]," and, "rebuke," were not appreciated by me.  I came to love them all, however, just as my Parents and Grandparents who exercised quite adequate correction and rebuke. 

Every time I read such words in the Bible as our text, I take stock.  How do I respond to correction and rebuke?  It reveals whether I am, "a scoffer," or, "a wise man."  What about you today?  Do we seek out people who constantly affirm us, constantly tell us how wonderful we are, constantly give "prophetic words" of a nature which Bob Mumford once called, "Everything's okay, saith the Lord"?  Beware of such; you and I are not that "perfect!"

If we read carefully (as we should always read everything) the Words of Jesus, we see the "balance" between the greatest and most wonderful encouragement the world has ever heard.  We also, however, read the direst warnings and rebukes, as well as life changing and saving correction.  He is Wonderful Counselor.

Father, in Jesus' Name, thank You for Your Words which save my life.  Amen.


When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive