Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Proverbs 8

"For whoever finds me finds life, and obtains favor from the Lord; but he who sins against me wrongs his own soul; all those who hate me love death."  (Proverbs 8:35, 36)

The subject of Proverbs 8 is Wisdom.  1 Corinthians 1:30 says that Jesus is our Wisdom, "Who of God is made to us wisdom."  When one, "finds," Jesus Christ, that one, "finds favor from the Lord."  Likewise, "....he who sins against [The Lord Jesus Christ] wrongs his own soul; all those who hate [Jesus] love death."  People who are seeking "wisdom" and ignore Jesus are seeking their own destruction.

In my Psalm reading today, I read, "Make haste to help me, O Lord, my salvation!"  Again, just as Jesus, "Who of God is...to us wisdom," so Jesus is The, "Lord, my salvation."  In Jesus Christ Himself, The Blessed Trinity reveals Himself as our Salvation.  This is the reason personal relationship with/in Jesus is so critical.  This is not a "handout religion."  This is unique in all History; it is, "Come to Me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest"; it is not, "Go to a place to get something."  Jesus is the Personification of all Good which Father has and is to us.  Don't ask for more things.  Ask and seek continually Jesus.  Jesus is the fulfillment of Exodus 25:30, "The Bread of The Presence," i.e., revealed in John 6 as, "I am the Bread of life."  Enough talk of "presence" identification with meetings, seasons, localities and events.  Such are only of significance if Jesus is honored and glorified, if the Name of Jesus fills the meetings, the seasons, the localities and events.  We don't worship some self-made concept of "presence."  We worship, "The Bread of the Presence."  He told Moses, "My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest"-------------- in His Presence. 

I am so very, very thankful today that I live in Jesus Christ and He in me, in Him, "Wisdom," of the Living Triune God Himself, right here, right now,
"The Bread of The Presence."  You are not alone! 

Less there be any who read these devotionals who think that the Church only discovered "real anointed worship" within the last 20- 30 years, I have posted a hymn of Isaac Watts written in 1719 for our closing prayer.  This hymn is from "The Otterbein Hymnal For Use in Public and Social Worship".  I downloaded it to my Kindle.  Both my Paternal and Maternal Grandparents came to Jesus and were a part of local United Brethren in Christ congregations.  I had the privilege in 1967 to preach in the very church building in which my Grandpa Barnette surrendered his life to Jesus in 1901.  He and my Grandma were in each service for the one week "revival" meeting.  He was up at the altar while people were coming to Jesus and prayed with them.  Glorious.
I don't know the melody, but you can sing this hymn to the tune, "O Tannenbaum"; it works.
"My God! my King! thy various praise

Shall fill the remnant of my days;
Thy grace employ my humble tongue,
Till death and glory raise the song.
2. The wings of every hour shall bear
Some thankful tribute to thine ear;
And every setting sun shall see
New works of duty, done for thee.
3. But who can speak thy wondrous deeds?
They greatness all our thoughts  exceeds;
Vast and unsearchable thy ways --
Vast and immortal be thy praise."


When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive