Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, July 25, 2013

You Probably Don't Have to Go Out and Buy This Prayer Book

"So shall I keep Your law continually, forever and ever." (Psalm 119:44, NKJV, which is my "default" version)  "I will walk about in freedom, for I have sought out Your precepts."  (Psalm 119:45, NIV)

Notice the connection between, "I will walk about in freedom," and, "I seek Your precepts."  The former just will not happen without the latter.

Psalm 119 is full of declaration-worship and supplication praying; it is good to "do" both.  Declarations here are not so much declaring what we want, rather it is a worshipful affirming of the Faithfulness of, "The Word of God," Jesus.  This month's journey through Psalm 119 was particularly blessed.  Allow me to share briefly some verse examples of the "types" of communion with our Living Triune God which I experienced.
Declaration-Worship:
    1.    "Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might no sin against You." (11)
    2.    "Forever, O Lord, Your word is settled in heaven." (89)
    3.    "You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in Your word." (114)
    4.    "Your testimonies which You have commanded, are righteous and very faithful." (138)
    5.    "My lips shall utter praise, for You teach me Your statutes." (171)   
   
Supplication:
    1.    "Deal bountifully ('bestow on, do good') with Your servant, that I may live and keep Your word."             (17)
   
2.    "My soul melts from heaviness; strengthen me according to Your word." (28)
    3.    "Teach me good judgment and knowledge, for I believe Your commandments." (66)   
    4.    "Let, I pray, Your merciful kindness be for my comfort, according to Your word to Your servant.
            Let Your tender mercies come to me that I may live; for Your law is my delight." (76, 77)
    5.    "Direct my steps by Your word, and let no iniquity have dominion over me." (133)

Okay, just a little example of praying through Psalm 119.  But as with the entire Book of Psalms, as well as the entire Bible, there are prayers for every "occasion," every heartache, every triumph, every desire, every decision, every......................
O:-)

Father, in Jesus' Name, today I ask that you, "Direct my steps by your word, and let no iniquity have dominion over me."  Amen.
*******************
We have booked our flights for this Fall's Mission.  I don't want to publish the particulars here because the devotionals go to our Devotional Blog. 

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive