Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

"What/Whom Is Your "Delight and...Counselors"?

"Your testimonies also are my delight and my counselors."  (Psalm 119:24)

In our deepest hours of need, in our moments or "seasons of distress and grief," only His, "testimonies," His Words can bring, "delight," and, "counsel[]."  The word for, "delight," is from another Hebrew word which means, "enjoyment, pleasure."  The word for, "counselors," is from a root word which means, "advise, plan, purpose."  The, "delight and...counselors," of our text are far beyond a mental comprehension.  Too many people read the Bible for mental comprehension.  Likewise, they don't read the Bible because they cannot mentally comprehend it.  Yet there is impartation in Scripture which cannot be comprehended.  This is good.  The reason is that you and I simply cannot comprehend/understand most of what we experience in this life.  Most stumble over the "whys" of life.

When we lost our son, Stephen, "understanding" was not foremost on my mind; survival was.  How could I get through the day----- and night?  How could I go on?  The answers did not come to my mind.  While the "delight and... counselors," of Jesus could not be felt, they were/are, nonetheless, imparted.  Jesus sustained me and continues to sustain me in His, "Testimonies,...my delight and my counselors," i.e., His, "enjoyment, pleasure, plan, purpose."  There is just no other way to walk in these apart from the Word of God.  

Far too many in Christendom neglect the Scriptures, the, "God-Breathed," Words.  They substitute meetings, conferences, books, Christian Television, praise and worship, etc.  It just simply will not work.  The aforementioned are, or can be certainly, integral to our walk in Jesus, but they can never, no positively never replace His Words, "The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life."  Mankind will have none of either apart from His, "Testimonies."  In His Words, however, all mankind will find, "You will show me the path of life ('plan, purpose'); in Your presence is fullness of joy ('enjoyment'); at Your right hand are pleasures forevermore." 

Father, in Jesus' Name, thank You for the sustenance in Your Words.  May I and my friend here fight through the many temptations to neglect Them/You.  Amen.
**********************
 
When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive