Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

"Share...in the Sufferings For the Gospel"

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mindTherefore...share with me in the sufferings for the gospel according to the power of God...." (From 2 Timothy 1:7, 8) 

"Power and...love and...a sound mind," will overcome fear every time it raises its ugly head.  And, if we are to, "share...in the sufferings for the gospel," with anyone, only the Holy Spirit's, "power and...love and...sound mind," will enable us to do so. 

The following is today's prayer on the prayer calendar of Open Doors with Brother Andrew: "Pray for the underground church on the Comoros islands which is made up mostly of men.  Because of the lack of female believers, many young men have no hope of getting married and having families."  Several things stood out in this request.  Firstly, "the underground church," is still in places most may not think of.  Secondly, this "underground church...is made up mostly of men," which is unusual in the West.  All you have to do is go to a prayer meeting to see what I mean.  Thirdly, "no hope of getting married and having families."  Among other things in this situation is the Enemy's attempt to cut off the future of the Church in the Comoros Islands. 

So here, in the Comoros Islands, is another example of the need of, "power and...love and a...sound mind."  The previous verse of our text says, "I remind you to stir up (literally, "fan into flame") the gift of God which is in you...."  I pray this for those young men of the Comoros Islands.  I pray this for you and me today, "Fan into flame the gift of God which is in you."  Then no matter the, "spirit of fear," no matter what hopelessness the Enemy may bring our way, we will be empowered to, "share with (all who have gone before us and all who are now) in the sufferings for the gospel according to the power of God...."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I pray for the suffering Church in the Comoros Islands, the young men who see so little hope on the horizon, and for all who are reading this and may be downtrodden,
"Be Thou My Vision."
Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul's Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven's joys, O bright Heaven's Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive