Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, September 9, 2019

There Is Never, Ever A, "Forsake," In Our Life

"When my father and my mother forsake me, then the Lord will take care of me."  (Psalm 27:10)

The Word translated, "forsake," in our text is translated elsewhere as, "leave behind," which is certainly what happens when those we love pass from this life. 

My Grandfather once told me that from the day I was born he prayed for me every morning at 09:00.  My Dad prayed for me every day.  My Mom once told me that she prayed for me every morning.  February 10, 1969, my Grandfather's prayers for me in this life ended.  October 27, 1988, my Dad's prayers for me in this life ended.  And on July 29, 1993, my Mom's prayers for me in this life ended.  After my Mom died, it was a sort of strange feeling to know that those who prayed so consistently for me were now gone.  I can say I felt like an "orphan."

Now I have had others over the years tell me that they pray for me regularly, and for that I am most appreciative and thankful.  But the powerful reality in our text is that when all others are gone, "....then the Lord [Jesus Christ] will take care of me."  It is sad that over the years I have met people who could not accept the fact that God loves them, that Jesus is "there for them," if they just surrender their lives to Him and believe/accept His Words.  You can share our text and the many others which affirm this, but for too many it is not enough.  They just continue in the fear of abandonment.

Don't you be like them!  Jesus promises us, "I will not leave you as orphans" (John 14).  You know as well as I that people, dear people, people who have loved us, cared for us, sacrificed for us, and we for them, sometimes then literally, "forsake," us, "leave [us] behind," and all ultimately depart this life; we just cannot change this or stop this.  What we can change and stop, however, is the fear, despair, loneliness of abandonment and forsakenness.  I repeat the Words of Jesus to you and me, "I will never, no never, ever leave you or forsake you."  When all others depart, our Lord Jesus Christ, "will take care of me."  Grasp this today.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I so thank You that when all others must depart, You do not.  Amen.
**************************
When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive