Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, September 10, 2019

"In My Prosperity" Be Careful

"Now in my prosperity I said, 'I shall never be moved (shaken).'  Lord, by Your favor You have made my mountain stand strong; You hid Your face, and I was troubled."  (Psalm 30:6, 7)

This appears to be full of contradictions, "....Your favor...made my mountain stand strong;..and I was troubled."  I will not attempt a "full exegesis" of today's text, but I can tell you that Jesus speaks to us in These Words.  There is a "life principle" here which is akin to Proverbs 16:18, "Too much pride will destroy you." (CEB)

Anyone who has been in The Way for any length of time knows that our text does play out in life.  We can all remember the days of, "....in my prosperity...."  We surrendered our lives to Jesus, were baptized in the Holy Spirit, heard the glorious teachings, experienced worship in a powerful way.  We danced around in our newly found, "prosperity."  We embraced, gave testimony, perhaps some even taught that, "I shall ever be moved....My mountain stand[s] strong."

Then, something troubling occurred: "You hid Your face, and I was troubled."  Forget today what, "You hid Your face,.." may mean.  Whatever it means, it is a time when the, "prosperity.., 'I shall never be moved (shaken)," was/is challenged.  Now if you have "been there," I have good news for us.  Though it were/is a seemingly "dark place," though it seemed/seems as though, "You hid Your face,.." is/was upon us, the reality of yesterday's text rules.  Even though we may experience, "You hid Your face,.." that everyone and everything we ever believed may, "....forsake me"--------- then the Lord will take care of me"!! 

In reality, there is no, "then," in our walk in Jesus Christ.  From the moment of our surrender to Jesus, the cosmic reality is, "....The Lord will take care of me", whether, "in my prosperity," or, "You hid Your face." 
"When darkness veils His lovely face, I rest on His unchanging grace;
In ev'ry high and stormy gale my anchor holds within the Veil."
ON CHRIST, THE SOLID ROCK, I STAND; ALL OTHER GROUND IS SINKING SAND."  And,
"Let goods and kindred go, this mortal life also;
The body they may kill:
God's truth abideth still,
His Kingdom is forever."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I so thank You are my Forever-Present One.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive