Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, March 25, 2019

The "Work" of the Holy Spirit

"....The Spirit...will glorify Me because it is from Me that He will receive what He will make known to youAll that belongs to the Father is MineThat is why I said the Spirit will receive from Me what He will make known to you."  (John 16:14, 15--NIV)

We have six more chapters to consider in John, which will take us to this coming Saturday.

The Holy Spirit does not glorify anyone or anything but Jesus, and our Lord Jesus Christ makes this very clear in John 16.  Beware what you "glorify," and what your particular "corner" of the Church glorifies.  Worship, prayer, sermons, "ministry," missions, everything which you and I do as Followers of Jesus, if it is done in the power and anointing of the Holy Spirit, will have Jesus "written all over it."

Life in the Holy Spirit is life in, "the Father, and with/in His Son Jesus Christ.  In Jesus is the, "secret place of the Most High,...from whence cometh my help."  Yet I sometimes feel as though the Holy Spirit brings some portions of the Church "kicking and screaming" into the reality of our text, "He shall glorify Me."  Why should this be, when, if you recall, and we should recall quite often, who and what you and I would be without Jesus, and that day when, "He, to rescue me from danger, interposed His Precious Blood"?!?

At the end of John 16 we read that our Lord Jesus says, "These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peaceIn the world you have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome that world."  The psalmist had foreknowledge of this when he penned, "I sought the Lord, and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I pray that Your Holy Spirit will never find a hindrance in me to, "He shall glorify Me."  Amen. 

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive