Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, March 26, 2019

"Now THIS Is Life Eternal"

"Now this is life eternal, that they might know Thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom Thou hast sent."  (John 17:3, KJV & Interlinear)

I played a video study in one of our parishes years ago, entitled, "Knowing God."  It was based on our text.  I heard the author of that video series being interviewed on a radio program.  The simplicity with which he said, "Eternal life is knowing God," really stayed with me.  And so there we have it.  This is not some, "Repeat after me," some "formula," some correct altar call.  Eternal Life is powerfully, simply knowing God in Jesus Christ.

Islam says this cannot be.  It teaches that you cannot know God personally.  This is in stark contrast with Christianity, which is what the Bible calls, "the faith of Jesus."  Our text tells humanity and the deceived followers of Islam that we can not only know God in Jesus Christ, but also in that knowing have His Eternal Life.  You probably know that the Word for, "know," is the most intimate, personal of knowing.  Our relationship in Jesus Christ cannot be made any clearer.  This is just glorious: "Now this is Life Eternal, that they might know Thee...."

The Interlinear gives a specific reference in defining the Word, "know," as, "To become acquainted with."  This same Word is found in John 10, "I am the good Shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My ownAs the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep." 

The call to, "know...God," is the most wonderful "knowing;" it is a "knowing" which could be described as, "Now unto Him Who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think,..to Him be glory in the Church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and everAmen."  I confess: As I read our text this morning, my eyes filled with tears.  John 17:3 is just wonderful, "Good News."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I can never thank You enough for the reality of John 17:3.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive