Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, March 27, 2019

"Jesus Answered, 'My Kingdom....'"

"Jesus answered, 'My kingdom is not derived from this worldIf My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would be fighting so that I would not be handed over to the Jews; but as it is, My kingdom is not of this realm/from here.'"  (John 18:36, NASB)

Or perhaps, "My Kingdom does not have the same authority, origin, nor does it operate in the same manner, as your kingdom?"

It is a grave mistake to interpret what Our Lord Jesus Christ is saying here to Pilate as a denial of Jesus that He is, "King of the Nations."  Jeremiah makes it quite clear that Jesus Christ is exactly what Pilate asked of Jesus, "Are You a king then?"  We read in Jeremiah 10:7, "Who would not fear You, O King of the nationsFor this is Your rightful dueFor among all the wise men of the nations, and in all their kingdoms, there is none like You."  Followers of Jesus have made grave mistakes throughout history, believing that Jesus Christ is not, "King of the nations", 0nly "king" of Bible Studies and Sunday School classes, church programs, etc.

The problem with too many is that they interpret most translations which say, "My Kingdom is not of this world," to mean that Jesus' Kingdom has nothing to do with, "this world."  The result in America, and I suspect in other nations, has been to see people who claim to follow Jesus voting for those who deny the Reign of Jesus Christ, Biblical Principles, and the call of the Church to, "Go therefore and make disciples of ALL NATIONS", aka, humanists.  The majority of Christendom in the last few centuries has been of those who leave the reign of Christ in the Church buildings and other religious "contexts."  Such an interpretation would not have put fear in Pilate's heart.    

The Word translated, "of," in, "of this world," literally means, "from, from out of."  Jesus is telling Pilate that His Kingdom is from another Authority.  The Word for, "from,"  is also translated in other contexts as, "against, belong, because, depends, inspired."  We could say, I believe, Jesus' Kingdom is not against, does not belong to, is not because of, does not depend upon, nor is inspired by, "this world."  Jesus Christ is "not from this world," but we can say that Jesus and His Kingdom is for this world, "I came...to save the world."

For your personal comfort today, I pray that you see this as a conformation of Jesus' love, care, and provision for you and me, no matter the context in which we find ourselves.  Jesus is, "King of nations," your work place, your home.

Father, in Jesus' Name, teach me continually what "all of this" means.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive