Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, May 19, 2017

"His Truth Shall Be Your Shield"

"He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty....His truth shall be your shield and buckler." (Psalm 91:1 &4c)

Notice that, "He who dwells (sits, remains)...shall abide...."  There is no separation between, "dwells," and, abide."  This is continual, moment by moment everywhere, at all times, 24/7/366, "....in the secret place of the Most High...."  For me, "the secret place..," is Jesus Christ. 

I have had this Psalm memorized ever since my Bible "smuggling" days.  What I saw this morning was that the armor of, "He who dwells..," is, "His truth...."  Furthermore, the Interlinear tells us that a, "buckler," is "something which surrounds a person."  The word for, "shield," is the word for "something like a fishing spear."  Sort of reminds me of, "the sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God."  Indeed, the NLT says, "His faithful promises are your armor and protection."  The idea here is that dwelling, "in the secret place," in Jesus Christ, you and I are completely covered, surrounded in the Living Triune God by, "His faithful promises."  It would be very good to be familiar with, "His faithful promises"!

It is, "His truth," or, "His faithful promises," which is our, "shield and buckler (surrounding)."  If I consider my, "shield and buckler," as anything other than His "Truth/promises", I am defenseless.  If, however, I take the "fishing spear," viz., "the sword of the Spirit," I have the only weapon which can deliver me from, "....the destruction that lays waste at noonday," or, "rescue you from every trap...," again, "His truth/faithful promises."

Father, in Jesus' Name, Thank You for the surrounding protection of, "[Your truth,..faithful promises."  Amen.  


When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive