Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, March 27, 2017

When I Don't Read The Bible I Have To Make Idols

"The idols of the nations are....the work of human hands....Those who make them become like them, so do all who trust in them."  (Psalm 135:18, ESV)

Whatever idols I create, whatever idols I erect in my life, whatever and whomever I trust, I, "....become like them." 

I realized that I was an "idolator" 47 years ago because I spent very little time reading the Bible.  I greatly affirmed the tenets of the faith, but my daily trust was not the, God-Breathed," Words, but myself.  When people do not read the Bible, their lives become, "the idols of the nations.., the work of human hands...."  There is just no other possibility or result.  I might suggest that the following become a part of "Four Spiritual Laws" thinking.  "Everyone who comes to Me, and hears My words and does them..., is like a man building a house, who dug and went deep and laid a foundation on the rock; and when a flood occurred (and it will), the river burst against that house and could not shake it, because it had been well built"-------- not, "Well talked."  Talk is just, "the work of human hands."  I need, "The Rock."  This reality, which is the root of my testimony, has never been, nor ever will be a condemnation.  It has been always and ever shall be an attempt to affirm, "the Word to which [I] bear witness," and in Which/Whom I desperately trust and depend, while praying that I can encourage you in the same life's pursuit.

Too much "theology" today is formed by the big names in Christendom; much of it is just erroneous.  Yet so many, especially in the "Charismatic" circles, just go on parroting the statements and ideas of others because they are not of those, "....who dug and went deep and laid a foundation of the Rock." 
When I build my life upon me and my ideas, I am like, "Those who make.., become like.., trust in...," idols.  There is, then, no other result but to, "....become like them."  The call of the Holy Spirit today is for the Church to get it's Theology from the Bible and not from, well, you fill in the blank.  If I think rightly, I have a much greater chance of acting rightly than if I think wrongly.  Away with, "The idols of the nations...." 

Father, in Jesus' Name, I have at times seen too much of, "....like them...," in me.  I so want more, "like You."  Amen.       

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive