Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, March 24, 2017

Maybe You And I Should More, "Look At The Birds"

"Too long have I lived among those who hate peaceI am for peace; but when I speak, they are for war."  (Psalm 120:6 & 7, NIV)

I read Psalms 116-120 this morning.  The text speaks of the hatred ruling among men and nations.  Then I looked out of our door window.

I saw a Mallard Duck sitting in the neighbor's yard.  Okay, nothing unusual, right?  Well, about a half hour went by and there he was, in the same exact position.  Ducks around here just don't do that.  A lot more time went by; still not moving.  The first thought was that he was injured somehow and could very well be predator soup.  I began to feel increasingly bad for him.  I uttered some non-intercessor- type of prayer, and the little guy got up.  Then he started walking in my direction.  Then he crossed the street.  Then he starting walking up our yard, then on the sidewalk, then right to our steps.  It looked as though for a moment he was going to come up the steps.  I was talking to him, moving around, and he seemed like he was saying, "No fear of you here.  How's your day?  You know the Lord God gave you dominion over us.  Let's enjoy this moment."

....maybe not.  But can I tell you the joy to see that little guy, who I thought was perhaps a "goner," get up and walk right toward me, almost right up to me?  The line of the song comes to me from time to time when I see children, when I see a "beast" such as my duck friend, "Bless the beasts and the children," the simple, innocent things of  life.  I have had dogs come to me like that, but never a "wild" animal.  It was most unique.  Now I had a great devotional this morning, but I have ended up writing this to you.  Why has today's "incident" meant so much to me?  I don't know, and I'm not going to attempt to figure it out.

While the world around us is making less and less "sense," killing, hating, warring, there is Mr. Duck, just walking up to me, no worries and saying to me, "Relax, your Lord Jesus has you in the Palm of His Hand; O, and me too."  Now what is that our Lord Jesus tells us?  "Look at the birds...; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns (or the stock market, or 401ks) and yet Your Heavenly Father feeds them....Can any of you by worrying add a single hour to you life"?  Do you really want me to answer this for you?

Father, in Jesus' Name, what a wonderful little gift you gave to me today.  Help me to never despise such.  Amen.  

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive