Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

"....Of David When He Was In A Cave"

"Look and see, there is no one at my right hand; no one is concerned for meI have no refuge; no one cares for my life.....You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living.....I spread out my hands to You; I thirst for You like a parched land....Answer me quickly, Lord; my spirit fails....Let the morning bring me word of Your unfailing love....Show me the way I should go....Rescue me from my enemies....Teach me to do Your will...; may Your good Spirit lead me on level ground." (From today's Psalm readings, Psalm 142 & 143, NIV)

This is "cave-Presence."  And, if you want to know what to do "when [you are] in a cave," pray our text.

We see from our text that David was running for his very life.  Every moment of his life was filled with uncertainty as to his end.  He was out numbered, without a home.  Even though he had a few friends with him, he said, "....There is no one at my right hand; no one is concerned for meI have no refuge; no one cares for my life."  Could this be the classic "alone in a crowd."  Most know what this feels like.  The pressures and heartaches, the vanished dreams can make life seem like David's, "....when he was alone in a cave."  Yet even though David "was in a cave," he declared, affirmed, "You are my refuge, my portion (literally, "my territory"), all I really want in life" (NLT).

Jesus is, "The Lord...my Shepherd...."  Of our Lord Jesus Christ we can say with absolute confidence, "I shall not want," or, "....I have all I need," or, "I lack nothing."  Even though the world lists its "I lacks," you and I see in our Lord Jesus Christ, the physical Manifestation of the Godhead, our, "I lack nothing."  David, as do all of us from time to time, had his relapses, but he always seemed to be "jerked back" into reality.  In that cave, alone, seemingly abandoned, he could still affirm, "You are my refuge, my portion ('my territory')."  

This life can take everything and everyone from us.  This life cannot take our Shepherd, Jesus, from us.  Whether "in a cave," sickness or health, poverty or wealth, the office or great worship gatherings, no matter, "When my spirit grows faint within me, it is You Who watch over my way."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I worship You and give You thanks for You.  Amen.
*********************
About half way to our Mission need

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive