Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, August 4, 2016

Some Thoughts On Psalm 19-- Part 1

'The heavens are telling of the glory of God; and their expanse is declaring the work of His handsDay to day pours forth speech....There is no speech, nor are there words; their voice is not heard." (Psalm 19, NASB)

The NIV says, "The heavens declare the glory of God...day after day...."  And we could add, "Day after day," after day after day.  Since, "In the beginning God..., the, "Day after day...," reality has been manifest.  Even man, "....declares the glory of God...."  Look at the human body, a tiny fetus forming, growing and coming forth from the mother.  "God created man in His Own Image...,telling of the glory of God...."

Psalm 19 speaks of glory declared, not with what is commonly thought of as speech and language.  It is inexpressible "speech" and "language."  It is the kind of glory which, when one beholds, is left speechless, as Charles Wesley wrote, "lost in wonder, love, and praise."  Or as Job finally realized after he and his "friends" attempted to comprehend the ways of the Blessed Trinity, revealed in Jesus, "the carpenter's Son," Who rules the Universe, "I am unworthy--how can I reply to You I put my hand over my mouthI spoke once, but I have no answer, twice, but I will say no more."  Or, "There is no speech, nor are there words...."    

There is mystery, perplexity even, "When I consider Your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place...."  I, too, say with David, "....What is a human being that you are mindful of him, I, a son of man, that you care for him?"  But O how thankful I am that You do!  In the vast and endless Universe, You Who are, "from everlasting to everlasting," know me, care for me, love me.  It is enough.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive