Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

"My Shield, Defense," My "Armament"

"My defense is of God, Who saves the upright in heart." (Psalm 7:10)

The NIV says, "My shield is God Most High...."  The Word for shield means, "defense, buckler, armed."  These are military terms, perhaps because we are in a fight.  This is true on an individual basis, and it is for sure on a national basis.  The World is at war.  I know some of us have been accused of saying this too much, but I can say with absolutely certainty, The United States and Europe are in a crisis mode.

The NASB footnote says, "upon God."  Maybe it is akin to "trust."  But I again highlight the, "Is/Am," which dominates Biblical Theology.  Jesus does not so much "give" us a, "shield," and, "defense," and, "strength," and, "health," and, "peace."  Rather, Jesus Is All of the aforementioned.  Jesus is the, "I Am," of the Universe.  The Godhead appeared to humanity in Jesus.  As Isaiah put it, The Living Triune God said to humanity, "Here I Am."  What glorious reality. 

The CEV says in our text that the Blessed Trinity is also, "....the protector of everyone whose heart is right."  Now, if you do not believe that your heart is, "right," I have a good reminder for you and me today.  Jesus Himself is our, "Right."  There is nothing, absolutely nothing I can do to make myself, "right."  The Bible says this over and over in many different ways, "There is none righteous, no, not one."  While we are all so aware of this, we also are and must be aware of the great promise which came to us from, "The Word of God," by Jeremiah, and fulfilled in Jesus, "'Behold, the days are coming,' says the Lord,' That I will raise to David a Branch of righteousness; A King shall reign and prosper, and execute judgment and righteousness in the earth In His days Judah will be saved, and Israel will dwell safely; now this is His name by which He will be called:
                        THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I continually thank You that You are my, "shield," and, "righteousness." Amen.
*********************
* We really appreciate any prayers for the September and October missions

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive