Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, August 10, 2015

Hebrews 11 Time

"By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command, so that what is seen was not make out of what was visible."  (Hebrews 11:3a, NIV)

Biblically, another word for, "faith," is, "obedience."  Hence, "By obedience we understand."

"By faith we understand that the universe was formed",  not by Carl Sagan or Charles Darwin.  Understanding is receiving, not mental comprehension.  Comprehend, if you will, that you are right now traveling at the speed of 67,000 mph.  Comprehend life and death, Salvation, indeed, the "mysteries of life."  Or, "Before the beginning began, the Word already was."  The word for, "understand," here means to "consider, to apprehend."  Could it be, "Consider, then believe and receive what I'm telling you?"  And when we speak of a criminal being apprehended, we are saying that he was taken into custody.  Maybe that is what faith is, taking into custody, "the words of God." 

"By faith we understand...."  Right now, the 40 year old Mother of Shelly's step children is near death's door.  I woke up last night praying for this young mother.  I prayed for healing; I prayed for peace; I prayed for Shelly, Ray, the children; I prayed for all of us.  I don't know what is going to happen.  The televangelists do, but I don't.  Maybe that's why they're on television and I'm not.  Yet, "By faith we understand," or, "By faith we consider," and, "apprehend."

Right after Stephen died, a local church had a series of "revival meetings."  The preacher would read a complete chapter in the Bible before he would preach.  Sometimes what he preached about had little to do with the text he read; but people came to Jesus.  "Signs and wonders" follow the Word, not me.  I think Jesus was confirming to me the absolute necessity of reading, meditating on and obeying His Words, the Bible If you have been reading these devotionals for any length of time, I'm sure you recall that the Early Church would read Scripture for two hours.  Then the president of the assembly would basically say, "Now you want to do what we have just read."  If, "faith comes by hearing...the Word of God," then what I need to be about is, "consider," and "take into custody," said Word.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I hope I really want to, "understand."  Amen.
******************
The Mother of Shelly's step children is about ready to leave this life.  This is and is going to be a difficult time for all.  Please say a prayer for us all.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive