Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, August 6, 2015

Something I Do Not Wish To "Know"

"For forty years---one year for each of the forty days you explored the land---you will suffer for your sins and know what it is like to have me against you."  (Numbers 14:34, NIV)

The NKJV says, "and you shall know My rejection."  The NASB says, "and you will know My opposition."  Whatever the wording, no person on Planet Earth wants this, not if they are in their "right mind" at all.
  It is not, "You will suffer because of Me."  It is, "you will suffer for your sins."  Sin brings only one reward: suffering.

We spoke of criticism in a home group meeting last night.  The thought occurred to me that when people speak of "constructive criticism," it usually means a criticism I agree with and will accept.  What about the criticism I don't like or agree with?  I guess I would call that destructive criticism.  We also discussed that criticism is only valid when given in the "right way."  What if it is not?  It's up to me to receive it.  It's up to the other person as to how they "give it."

If you accept the dictionary's meaning of "criticism," then the Bible is full of criticism.  The Divine Judgement on Israel in our text can be viewed as a criticism of the Jews' behavior, a life style of disobedience, "---you will suffer for your sins and know what it is like to have Me against you."  You and I suffer for our sin, which is a self inflicted disease.  Forgiveness does not preclude suffering.  Anyone who takes an honest look at their will recognize this.

We all agree, I hope, that it is not a good thing to, "have Me against you."  The Blood of Jesus' Cross brought us salvation, the forgiveness of sin, "sin shall not have the dominion over you," and acceptance, "in the Beloved."  The Cross, however, did not eliminate sin's consequence.  Now, some may say that this has nothing to do with our text.  Really?  The consequences of sin, whether just the "natural" outcome of a life of disobedience, or the disciplining of Our Father, is still the same, "you will suffer for your sins." 

If I am not to be what Proverbs calls, "a fool," then I will take this reality very seriously.  I will hate sin, reject sin, or as Paul put it, "....I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."  People talk about the "pursuit of happiness."  Perhaps happiness is not only in what I obtain, but in what I refuse.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I thank You that You destroyed sin, "in the Blood of His Cross."  O, for grace to walk in the power of the Cross.  Amen.
 
When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive