Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

It Can Happen To Anyone

"Your words have supported those who stumbled; you have strengthened faltering kneesBut now trouble comes to you, and you are discouraged; it strikes you, and you are dismayed."  (Job 4:4, 5--NIV)

It's "Job time" again.  Job's three "friends" were much like Balaam.  They may have said some "good" things, but their hearts were not right; hence, the rebuke of Jesus at the end of the book.

Our text does reveal, however, a reality which can afflict all of us at one time or another, viz., we help others, but we can't help ourselves.  I put the following on Face book yesterday: "Don't say, 'I will never,' or, 'I will always.'  You don't know that."  Just think of how many divorced people once said similar words of the song to their beloved, "Until the Twelfth of Never, I'll still be loving you."  Or how about this one: "I'll Never Stop Loving You" ....and they stopped.  The list is endless.  And, I don't "judge" anyone who has "been there."  One of today's Psalms says, "With the merciful You show Yourself merciful."  As someone once said, "I can use all the mercy I can get." 

Don't be discouraged today if you find that, "....you have strengthened faltering kneesBut now...."  And for any of the proud who may be reading this, beware; it can happen to you too.  The most "full of the Holy Spirit," the most eloquent of preachers/teachers, the most happy, carefree, always upbeat are still, "Frail children of dust, and feeble as frail."  It is imperative that we always keep this in mind.  Remember our Lord Jesus after Peter denied he ever knew Him?  What did Jesus do?  Did Jesus yell at him, rebuke him.  Perhaps Peter would rather have had that response than, "And the Lord turned, and looked at Peter," saying nothing, just that "look," the look of love, compassion, the look of, "I love you, Peter, and there is nothing you can do to change that."  Then after the resurrection, when the angel appeared to the women, he said, "But go, tell His disciples--and Peter---...."  In other words, "Make sure Peter knows he's included." 

My Dad use to say that the angel deliberately named Peter because he knew what Peter had been suffering.  He wanted Peter to be assured that Peter was still loved of Jesus.  This is for you and me and any who may have "messed up" in life, or who have, "faltering knees," and/or, "are dismayed," for whatever the reason.  It is not over, though it may seem so.  It is never over in Jesus, nor will it ever be.  Jesus is the Only One Who can say, "I will never," and, "I will always." 

Father, in Jesus' Name, "Your mercy is great above the heavens," and, "Your mercy is good...."------ and thank You for that.  Amen. 
***************************
If you want to join me in DC during my time with "David's Tent," let me know.  I will be there from the early afternoon of September 18 to the evening of September 22.   

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive