Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, August 13, 2015

"....The God Who Gives Endurance And Encouragement"

"We who are strong ought to bear with the failings (doubt, hesitation) of the weak and not to please ourselves." (Romans 15:1, NIV)

Because we never know when we may be, "of the weak."  And, "the failings, doubts, hesitations," have assailed us all at times.  Beware any superiority attitude; it can happen to anyone.

The Holy Spirit continues, "Each of us should please our neighbors for their good, to build them upFor even Christ did not please Himself but, as it is written: 'The insults of those who insult you have fallen on Me.' 
The word translated, "please," here is literally, 'serve', with the idea of willing service rendered to others.  One Greek scholar says it can almost be, "I serve."  This is so consistent with our Lord Jesus Christ.  Then further in chapter 15 we read, "For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope."  And it is consistent to say, Be sure to, "serve," that, "encouragement (and) hope," to others. 

It is not cliche to say that our Lord Jesus Christ was/is, indeed, not a, but THE "Man for others."  In the Gospels we see Him always going "out of His way" to encounter the marginalized of the culture.  Do I?  Too many "ministries" exist for themselves.  They appear to "serve" others, but in reality are serving themselves.  Many have become quite wealthy in raising funds to help, "the weak."  I once heard a man say, "I have to preach."  My thought was, Why?  I had the sense that preaching was more important to him than serving, "the weak."  Moreover, you have heard the statement, "It's such a good feeling to help others."  The emphasis here is "good feelings."  I can tell you, my friend, that I have been in many situations of service that did not give me "good feelings," after the fact perhaps, but during was another matter.  "Then why do such things?" some may ask.  The answer is in Jesus' Word to us, "Wherever I am, there My servant will be also."  It matters not the "feelings;" only the "location."  If we have "good feelings" about our work, that is not, of course, a "bad" thing.  The "main thing," however, is to, "be about My Father's business....wherever I (Jesus) am."

Romans 15 is a good "attitude" check.  Our attitude is to be, "....bear with the failings of the weak and not ourselves....May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other."  This is Church Theology 101.

Father, in Jesus' Name, Your Scriptures do so provide me with, "encouragement," and, "hope."  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive