Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, March 4, 2013

"Is That All There Is?"

"I say to the Lord, 'You are my Lord; apart from You I have no good thing.'" (Psalm 16:2, NIV)

The refrain in the song which I sent to you is, "Is that all there is, if that's all there is, my friend, then let's keep dancing, let's break out the booze and have a ball, if that's all there is."  There are more people who have this life attitude than do not.  This is a very sad, depressing song, yet was number on the charts in America in 1970. There was another song about the emptiness of life which came out a few years later and was also number one on the American charts, "Alone Again, Naturally."  It speaks of one depressing tragedy after another. 
The first came out in the late 1960s, and we all know what that decade gave the world.  Though the song which I sent to you was made popular by one who was not of that generation, both songs reflect the period, the abandonment of Jesus Christ and His Church by a generation of "Imagine[s]," who chose and embraced the likes of John Lennon over God Himself. 

You and I have had disappointments in our lives; some of us have suffered tragic loss.  We were married in 1964.  In 1965 we had our first child.  In 1970 we lost our first child.  I could have written a number one song.  But the only number one song which kept me going, and keeps me going to this day is the song of the Redeemed in Revelation 14, "
and they sang a new song before the Throne."  We are told in Revelation 14 that this is the song which is sung by those who, "follow the Lamb wherever He goes," not just 144,000, but anyone, now, or whoever lived and lives life in Jesus.  This is the solid Rock Foundation of those who are in Jesus Christ and He in them.  The old hymn says, "Are you weary, are you heavy hearted?  Tell it to Jesus, tell it to Jesus.  Are you grieving over joys departed?  Tell it to Jesus alone."  The hymn writer was not just spouting off some religious cliche of others.  He was telling us what he did to find the strength in life to face whatever would come his way. 

I don't know the lives of the writers or singers of the songs mentioned at the beginning of this devotional, but I know my life.  I know I could be a similar depressed cynic if it were not for the grace of the Living Triune God, Father, Son Jesus, and Holy Spirit.  Rather, life's Sustenance Himself enables me to declare, "You are my Lord; apart from You I have no good thing."  In Him, however, I have nothing but--------------------- "good thing."  Dear Traveler in life's journey, "Are you weary, are you heavy hearted, tell it to Jesus, tell is to Jesus----- He is a Friend that's well known."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I dare not dwell on where and what I would be, "apart from You."  I prefer to dwell on, "You are my Lord."  Amen.
***************
If you are and will be praying for my upcoming mission, please include Psalm 140 in your prayers.  Thanks.
 


When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive