Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, February 22, 2013

Not "Little Tin gods" But Fellow Servants

"Now may I who am myself an elder say a word to you my fellow-eldersI speak as one who actually saw Christ suffer, and as one who will share with you the glories that are to be unfolded to usI urge you then to see that your 'flock of God' is properly fed and cared forAccept the responsibility of looking after them willingly and not because you feel you can't get out of it, doing your work not for what you can make, but because you are really concerned for their well-beingYou should aim not at being 'little tin gods' but as examples of Christian living in the eyes of the flock committed to your chargeAnd then, when the chief shepherd reveals himself, you will receive that crown of glory which cannot fade." (1 Pt. 5:1-4, J.B. Phillips)

I know of only a few pastors who read these devotionals regularly; so you might say, "Well then, what does this passage have to do with me?"  Everything.  The attitude here expressed by the preacher who introduced the Holy Spirit-Baptized Church to the world, the man to whom Our Lord Jesus gave, "keys of the Kingdom of Heaven," the man who was willing to take on the many guards who came for Jesus in the Garden, the man who walked on water and testified that he was one of the, "eyewitnesses of His Majesty," when they were, "with [Jesus] on the Holy Mountain," this man who could have pulled rank on any one of us, reveals the most humble heart of an elder/leader I have ever encountered, and I have encountered many humble leaders in the Church over my lifetime.  But it is not just a word to elders or "leaders."  It is a word expressing the heart attitude of a person totally committed to Jesus Christ, to following Jesus Christ, and obeying Jesus Christ; this is exactly who Simon Peter is. 

When I go through the Epistles of Peter, I am always impressed with his humility.  Notice, Peter does not set himself above other elders, but calls himself a, "fellow elder."  This is not the way that so many "teachers" and preachers have portrayed Peter.  It is usually some stumbling, bumbling, foot-in-mouth-diseased, crude Galilean fisherman, you know, kind of like some of us!  But I challenge you to read his Epistles.  Notice the great doctrinal passages, the great commands of the Kingdom he expressed, and his absolutely supreme love, adoration and worship of His and our, "Chief Shepherd."  Oh, how very many churchgoers are more in love with their "shepherds" than the, "Chief Shepherd," Jesus.  Of course we are to love and respect our under-shepherds, but we are commanded by the Holy Spirit to run this race, not with eyes looking to them, but, "Looking unto Jesus."  This is who Peter was; and this is who he calls us to be.  And as you and I walk in the attitude of our text, we are promised that "[we] will receive that crown of glory which cannot fade."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I thank You so much for the Words you speak to me through Peter.  May I manifest such.  Amen.
**********************
I have been asked to send again the info on the prayer watch which will cover my next mission, March 26-April 6.  I will send it out later today along with mission updates.


When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive