Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, October 4, 2012

"A Text Out of Context Is a Pretext" (Baxter)

"All things I am strong for in the One Who strengthens me."  (Philippians 4:13, Greek Interlinear)

The Amplified Bible says, "I have strength for all things in Christ who empowers me [I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him Who infuses inner strength into me; I am self-sufficient in Christ's sufficiency]."  It is always important, yea, necessary and imperative that we interpret Scripture in context.  Ern Baxter once said, "A Scripture taken out of context becomes a pretext."  Truer words cannot be spoken.  And here, my friend, is and has been the foundation of heresy.  My Dad used to say that we "interpret the Bible with the Bible."  The Bible is a unit.  Too many references to Old and New Testament are attempts to separate them, to take them out of context with each and put forth personal-agenda pretexts.

The misunderstanding and use of our text, especially in the last several decades has come about by failing to read the context of Paul's assertion here.  Let me share it with you from the J. B. Philips paraphrase: "Nor do I mean that I have been in actual need, for I have learned to be content, whatever the circumstances my beI know now how to live when things are difficult and I know how to live when things are prosperousIn general and in particular I have learned the secret of facing either poverty or plentyI am ready for anything through the strength of the one who lives within me."  Notice, "the secret of facing either poverty or plenty," is being, "ready for anything," in the strength of Jesus Christ.  Self-sufficiency is life catastrophic failure.  Christ-sufficiency is life victory, life eternal.

The days ahead will be full of even more uncertainty nationally and internationally.  People who have lived all their lives in a prosperous society have relatively little grasp of what Paul states.  But the days are upon all of us, first, second, or third world, to be prepared in the "spirit" of Philippians 4.  Jesus is our Provision, not that check you may receive every two weeks, that return on your investment, your retirement plan, your successful business.  If you are living well, I pray you realize with all humility that your prosperity is Jesus Christ.  If you are living in financial difficulty, remember, "I am ready for anything through the strength of the One Who lives within me," and, "My God will supply all that you need from his glorious resources in Christ Jesus."

Father, in Jesus' Name, You are my Strength in, "all things."  Amen. 
 
When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive