Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

"I Am Strong For All Things In the One Who Strengthens Me"

"I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)

The Greek Interlinear New Testament says, "I am strong for all things in the One Who strengthens me."  Quite a different emphasis than the "tradition" one. 

The "charismatic movement" spawned the idea, largely based on the King James rendering of our text, that you and I can do anything, which ran out of control to, "I can do everything."  The word, "anything," is not in the text, which should have given a caution to the ego driven interpretation.  I cannot, for instance, run 100 meters in under 6 seconds; only a cheetah can do that.  As ridiculous as that may sound, I make my point.  Regardless of what Marty told George, which humanist propagate all the time, "If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything," is not true.  Today I take more comfort in the truth that, "I am strong for all things," in Jesus Christ, than some ego trip's desire to do all things.  The idea that we can do anything we have faith for has led to much disillusionment in Christendom.  For far too many, the emphasis was/is on, "I can do all things," rather than exalting, "the One Who strengthens me"------ to do whatever He desires. 

During a daylight session last week in DC, I was looking up at the sky, beautiful cloud formations, a jet flying at a very high altitude, the sun.  I was overwhelmed by the greatness, vastness, limitlessness of the universe and the thought which must inevitably follow, "How Great Thou Art."  I repeat, it was an overwhelming "spiritual" moment.  I cannot "believe in" such a God in my mind; it is impossible, and so it is for you, my friend.  We are so small, our countries are so small, our planet is so small, our solar system is so small, our galaxy is so, well, I think you understand.  I agree with the song writer, "I scarce can take it in"; in reality, I cannot "take it in."  What I can do, however, is worship, "O LORD, our Lord, How excellent is Your name in all the earth, Who have set Your glory above the heavens!...When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, the moon and the stars, which You have ordained, What is man that You are mindful of him?"  But He is, "mindful of him," and you and me.  I do not attempt to believe in my mind; that is impossible.  What, or rather, Whom I believe is Jesus Christ, His Words.  And because I do, "I am strong for all things in the One Who strengthens me."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I thank You so much for being in Jesus, "the One Who strengthens me."  Amen.
********************
* I took the photos and videos which I sent yesterday.  Some thought I was in them somewhere.
* Still openings for Men's mission to David's Tent, November 3.  Let me know if you will go.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive