Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, August 27, 2012

Your Sword (Or 16 Inch Gun)

"Remember the word to Your servant, upon which You have caused me to hope.  This is my comfort in my affliction, for Your word has given me life."  (Psalm 119:49, 50)

While our study in Psalm 119 may seem repetitive to some and tedious to others, to me the Word of God is like a salvo of 16 inch guns on a massive battleship; those guns are not defensive weapons.  "The sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God," is one of the few mentioned offensive weapons of the Believer in Ephesians 6, and we need to weld it as one of David's men, who after the battle, discovered the sword was frozen to his hand!  Could we say that his sword became a part of him?  This is how you win battles; this is how you win wars.  And even though some do not like "war talk," this is what we "signed up" for.  Biblical Theology reveals the cosmic struggle between King Jesus and His Satanic Majesty.  The moment anyone surrenders his/her life to Jesus Christ, he enters the "conflict."  Could our Lord be saying to us today what He said to Moses so long ago,"What is that in your hand?"  

We are called into the battle to not quit, never give up, and give the enemy no rest.  General George S. Patton said, "I don't want my men to dig foxholes, and I don't give the enemy time to dig them either."  U.S. Grant said, "The art of war is simple enough.  Find out where your enemy is.  Get at him as soon as you can.  Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving."  Too many people think the enemy is that person across the office, the neighbor, someone from the "other" political party, family members who aren't believers, etc.  It is not.  The enemy is The Enemy, relentless, powerful, been around since before the creation of man.  By, "the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God," we are called to "find out where your enemy is.  Get at him as soon as you can.  Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving."    

The greatest salvo in the arsenal of the Follower of Jesus Christ and His Church is, "the word to Your servant, upon which You have caused me to hope....for Your word has given me life."  The Enemy of our souls is very aware of this most powerful of weapons, and remembers it was, "the words of God," in which, "The Word of God," Jesus, defeated him in the wilderness.  In, "The Word of God," you and I are also undefeatable.

Father, in Jesus' Name, thank You for my, "hope," and, "my comfort."  Amen.
*****************************
Men, I am planning a trip to DC on a Saturday during the "David's Tent" time.  Why not give up that golf day and join us?!?  Will give the date later.
    

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive