Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

"The House of My Pilgrimage"

"Your statutes have been my songs in the house of my pilgrimage." (Psalm 119:54)

Some years ago, I heard a prominent worship leader/song writer, LaMar Boschman, say that most songs today do not have theology in them.  He also said that there are far too many songs which have no reference to our Lord Jesus Christ.  Well, our text would cure both issues.  In the old Covenanter tradition, their hymn book was basically Psalms set to melodies, which indeed is the nature of the Psalms.  In my personal opinion, the most powerful songs I have ever encountered are songs rich in Biblical Theology and centered in Jesus Christ.  Much of the rest to me are a variant of christian humanism.  Some day I would love to compose a song based on Psalm 145, my "favorite" Psalm.

Why is it that so many congregations today think that if you have sung a song for a few months or a year, you must then discard it?!?  It is sort of like the electronic age when people tell me that my 6 year old computer or my twelve year old JBL speakers (which are absolutely great, by the way) are way out of date.  This "spirit" has invaded the religious community.  There are some absolutely great songs which were written as recently as the last few decades, and have, for the most part, been discarded, e.g., the chorus base on Psalm 3, "Thou, Oh, Lord, Art a Shield About Me," or, "He Is Lord," or
"Exalt the Lord Our God, Exalt the Lord our God, 
Worship at His footstool, Worship at His Footstool
Holy is He, Holy is He."  
There was a great song written in the Catholic Charismatic Community over 30 years ago, "Behold, God is My Salvation."  I could refer to so many more, but these songs are right from, "Your statues"/Word.

If you and I will affirm by our life the declaration of our text, I believe it would change the whole nature of not only personal worship, but also worship in the Church gathered.  If I can say with the psalmist, "Your statutes have been (and are) my songs in the house of my pilgrimage," I will continue to have a very blessed, "pilgrimage."  

Father, in Jesus' Name, there are just no songs as Your songs.  Amen.
**********************
 
When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive