Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, August 24, 2012

"My Hands Also I Will Lift Up To"------ What or Whom?

"My hands also I will lift up to Your commandments, which I love, and I will meditate on Your statutes." (Psalm 119:48)

If I do not lift up, "my hands...to Your commandments," then to whatever I, "lift up," my hands, it is not God.  Every other "lifting up of the hands," is subjective, worshipping someone or something of my choosing.  Only, "Your commandments," define and reveal the Living Triune God; all else is mere speculation, concepts, imaginings of our own creation.  "Thy word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path," not my worship, my praying, someone's preaching, theology. Good as these may be, His Words are the foundation of praise.  What revelatory, "lamp," and, "light," we have in Jesus and, "Your commandments."  If indeed, "The Word of God," is in, "the words of God" (they, 'testify...of Me'-John 5:39), then, "My hands also I will lift up to Your commandments...."   

You and I can be so thankful today that His Words are available to us.  Most of humanity for most of human history has not had this privilege.  Our Lord Jesus said, "For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required; and to whom much has been committed of him they will ask the more."  That is you and me, my friend.  But is it not a great privilege as well as a great responsibility to have His Words to read?  I think this could have been one reason my Grandfather Barnette kept in his lunch pail a New Testament wrapped up in a rubber band.  He took every chance he could to, as our texts says, "meditate on Your statutes," many times in that hot, dirty steam engine, or in later years, that more clean diesel locomotive.  I never saw anyone who shown more with the, "light," and, "lamp," than Tom Barnette.  His legacy and deeds still follow him.  

You and I can have the same legacy and deeds following us.  I encourage you to "seize the moment[s]" you have today to, "My hands also I will lift up to Your commandments, which I love, and I will meditate on Your statutes."  Then our God will say of you what he said of the psalmist, "He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him and honor him."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I take so many opportunities in "free time" to do so much.  May, "Your statutes," be priority.  Amen.
*************************
* Be sure to visit us on Facebook
* Article--Israel On The Verge of Attack?-- www.jerusalemberlinwashington.blogspot.com
* Let me know if you wish to invest in the "David's Tent" Mission in DC   


When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive