Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, July 16, 2012

"Take a Load Off"

"Blessed be the Lord, Who daily loads us with benefits, the God of our salvation." (Psalm 68:19)

Other translations reveal the depth of those, "benefits."  The NASB says, "Who daily bears our burden," and the NLT says, "For each day He carries us in His arms."  

This past weekend I was with friends whom we have known for over 40 years; the time was refreshing to me.  But this past year has been a difficult "season" for them and the members of their congregation because of the loss of two of their men.  Today's text was the Psalm reading for the day I arrived at our friends' house; how appropriate for those who have suffered such a great loss.

I have testified to this many times and will continue to do so, because it is my most powerful, miraculous, lifesaving testimony.  I am thankful, of course, that I was born of the Spirit and baptized in the Holy Spirit many decades ago.  This all Believers in Jesus Christ have (or should have) in common.  Our individual testimonies, however, may vary as widely has there are people in the Church.  I can tell you that our text has been the sustenance of my life for over 42 years.  Now some may say, "Hasn't it been our testimony since conception?"  Yes, it has.  But as with so many of our testimonies, we were not aware of the power of the Living Triune God in our lives until something happened, for very many, some catastrophic happening.

To anyone who, "has ears to hear," Jesus is still saying, "Come to Me you who labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest....For My yoke is easy ('light, not burdensome, easily managed (carried)' and My burden is light," i.e., "useful, gentle, pleasant, kind."  This is Who and what we have in Jesus.  This is the life of a trusting, Believer, trusting Follower of our Lord Jesus Christ.  Even though life seems to shout in defiant denial, life in Jesus Christ can be, "easy... and light."  Now don't get all argumentative on me; didn't we just both read that somewhere?!?

Father, in Jesus' Name, I pray for me and all our friends today that we will walk in  Your, "benefits,"----------------- Your, "arms."  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive