Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, July 19, 2012

"Anxious Thoughts Multiply"--They Can Be Neutralized

"When my anxious thoughts multiply within me, Your consolations delight my soul."  (Psalm 94:19, NASB)

Permit me to begin today's devotional with an e-mail I received this morning from South Africa. The sender said that a South African Follower of Jesus with whom I roomed while serving with the IDF, forwards each day's devotional to him.  He said, "which I find very uplifting."  What an absolute privilege (and corresponding responsibility) to serve a part of the Church in South Africa.  I also have friends whom I have never met personally, but share with daily, in Central Africa.  This is all because of the modern marvel of the Internet.  I am absolutely delighted to have such regular contact with Brethren, people who, along with you and me, are a part of the Glorious Triumphant Church of Jesus Christ (sorry, got carried away.)

Our text today speaks of, "Anxious thoughts."  You have probably noticed in your life time how they tend to,"multiply".  It may begin with just one thought, maybe even "out of nowhere," but then it seems to act like the ameba, just keeps multiplying and multiplying.  The best antidote to, "anxious thoughts," multiplication is, "Looking unto Jesus."  As Theodore Monod wrote, "Only three words, but in those three words is the whole secret of life."  "Looking unto Jesus," stops the multiplication process.  When the first anxious thought arises in the day, "Looking unto Jesus," will meet it head on.  Instead of, "anxious thoughts," there are, as the kids' song says, "Jesus thoughts," and what blessed thoughts there can be.  Thoughts turn to Jesus, Who He is, What He does, where I am "headed" in Him.  "Looking unto Jesus," takes me out of myself, where, "anxious thoughts multiply," and into Him, where they are neutralized.  They do not originate in Jesus, so why not live in Him Who is the Destroyer of, "anxious thoughts"?  

Anxiety is rooted in unbelief/disobedience.  Now some do not like to synthesize unbelief and disobedience, but the Bible does, everywhere; unbelief is the opposite of faith.  So today, "When my anxious thoughts," begin to, "multiply within me," or you, we have a medical cure, "Looking unto Jesus"----- ph=7.
******************************
Don't forget to check us out on Facebook
A very sobering read, Transcript of The Nuremberg Trials of the German Judges: www.jerberwash.blogspot.com   

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive