Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

"Men Listened to Me....But Now...."

"Men listened to me and waited, and kept silence for my counsel....But now they mock at me, men younger than I, whose fathers I disdained to put with the dogs of my flock." (Job 29:21 & 30:1)

In the midst of Job's deep suffering, he is considering his life's journey.  At one time he was "at the top of his game;" now, he's at the bottom.  This was painful for him.  Everything seemed to affirm that he was now an utter failure, "And now I am their taunting song; Yes, I am their bywordThey abhor me, they keep far from me; they do not hesitate to spit in my face" (30:9, 10).

Remember how popular Jesus was with, "the multitudes"?  Now He was, "a stone's throw," from His "inner circle" disciples.  But while they slept, He was agonizing over what was to come, "Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away from Me...."  Then, there was that horrendous cry from the Cross, "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?"  From the crowds yelling, "Blessed is He Who comes in the Name of the Lord," to this moment of mocking, "He trusted in God; let Him deliver Him now if He will have Him; for He said, 'I am the Son of God.'"

My friend, do not succumb to some silly spirituality today.  I too can quote all the "countering" Scriptures and the latest catch phrases.  But the victory declarations do not diminish the moment of, "Why have You forsaken Me"? and, "they do not hesitate to spit in my face."  If you have ever been there, or perhaps are there now, you know in some measure the pain, even the agony of these two great men of the Bible.  

But consider for a moment, weary traveler, what Father says of two apparent "failures."  Of Job He says, "Have you considered My servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth...?"  And of our Lord Jesus, the One the Bible calls, "Immanuel, God with us," Father says, "This is My Beloved Son, in Whom I am well pleased."  If this is "failure," you can have "success."
 
Father, in Jesus' Name, as I have been "there," I pray for anyone reading this who is now "there."  May You be able to say of both of us, "This is_____, in whom I am well pleased."  Amen.
*************************
Unreached People Group: www.apfunreachedpeoples.blogspot.com
News, Commentary: www.jerberwash.blogspot.com

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive