Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

"Nimrod, The Mighty Hunter," Just May Want to Reconsider

One of the early battles in the age-old struggle started with a sling and five stones. In our life time, the Jews have increased the fire power------------ just a bit.  Yet the words of David still apply, "You come to me with a sword, with a spear, and with a javelin.  But I come to you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied." 

"They have also surrounded me with words of hatredand fought against me without a cause.  In return for my love they are my accusersbut I give myself to prayer."  (Psalm 109:3, 4)

The Hebrew text just says, "but I prayer."  In the face of everything, "....words of hatred...without a cause.  In return for my love they are my accusers...," the answer to all is, "but I prayer."  The Jews and those, "who are blessed with faithful Abraham," i.e., the Followers of Jesus, have face hatred and fighting, "without a cause," from the time of Abraham.  It will not change until Jesus' Second Appearing, "but I------- prayer."  

Our text does not tell us about whom David is speaking.  It could have been Saul, the Philistines, Syrians.  It does tell us, however, that even though David loves his accusers and prays for them, they were nonetheless still those who, "fought against me without a cause," and as those who have, "fought against," the People of God throughout the centuries------------------ irrational, unfounded, pure hatred.  

Psalm 109 has been referred to in Biblical studies as an "imprecatory" Psalm; verses 6-20 reveal this.  They are just too "violent," too "unChristian like," too vindictive for most.  Because of this, some commentators and Church "authorities" over the centuries considered eliminating this Psalm, and others like it, from the Psalter.  That is what people do with passages they either do not understand or just do not like.  In the latter case, it is nothing but a moral judgment on God.  Nevertheless, Psalm 109 is here to stay.  It is a part of the, "God-Breathed," Word.  As such, I read it monthly and pray it monthly------- and leave the "outcome" to our Lord Jesus Christ.  I commend the whole Psalter as the best prayer book ever, His Book, His "Idea."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I embrace your Words, all Your Words.  Amen.
******************
This Is Not About the Koran: www.jerberwash.blogspot.com
Unreached People Group: www.unreachedpeoples.blogspot.com

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive