Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, February 2, 2012

"....Faith on Man's Part...Generosity on God's"

"The whole thing, then is a matter of faith on man's part and generosity on God's.  He gives the security of his own promise to all men who can be called 'children of Abraham', i.e. both those who have lived in faith by the Law, and those who have exhibited a faith like that of Abraham.  To whichever group we belong, Abraham is in a real sense our father, as the Scripture says: 'I have made you a father of many nations'.  This faith is valid because of the existence of God Himself, who can make the dead live, and speak his Word to those who are yet unborn." (Romans 4:16, 17-- J. B. Phillips Translation)

I received a KJV from my paternal grandparents when I was six years old.  I started reading it as soon as I could, because, of course, my Granddad "hung the moon."  Anyway, when I was 15, my Dad gave me a Phillips Translation of the New Testament, and every night before I went to bed I read a chapter.  One night at our high school football camp, one of the guys noticed that I was reading from it as well as the old E.U.B devotional, "The Upper Room."  He asked what I was reading and when I told him, he said, "Why don't you read it to all of us."  The Senior cabin captain objected that it might offend his Serbian Orthodox tradition.  Whatever, Phillips had a great impact on my young life.

The text today reveals the great truth of Jesus' statement, "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad."  This is how Old Testament people were "saved."  They looked forward to the appearing of Jesus; we look "back."  They looked forward to the Cross; we look back.  But it is all about Jesus Christ, His Passion, His Blood, His Cross, His Death, His Resurrection, His Second Appearing.  Muslims all around the world are having visions of Jesus.  Just because we have not heard it ourselves, does not mean that it is not happening to Hindus, Buddhists and people of other religions.  Paul told the people of Lystra, "....but He never left them without evidence of Himself and His goodness."  Maybe some say, "What about those who never heard."  I say, How do you know they haven't?!?   

The Holy Spirit tells us in Galatians, "Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, 'Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree') that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith....Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham?"  Prior to today's text, we read in the Amplified Bible, "For he is not a [real] Jew who is only one outwardly and publicly, nor is [true] circumcision something external and physical.  But he is a Jew who is one inwardly, and [true] circumcision is of the heart, a spiritual and not a literal [matter].  His praise is not from men but from God."  This last statement it key.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I am so very thankful that even though all of us Gentiles, "....at that time...were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope and without [You] in the world.  But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ."  Amen.
*************
"First They Came For the Catholics": www.apf327.blogspot.com
Unreached People Group: www.apfunreachedpeoples.blogspot.com
  
When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive