Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, June 27, 2011

"Grow Up Into All Things Into--------- Christ"

"Surely I have behaved and quieted myself, as a child that is weaned of his mother: my soul is even as a weaned child." (Psalm 131:2)

Strong's says that one possible translation of, "behaved," is, "adjust (counterbalance)." This is a great Biblical Theology which we would do well do consider.  The picture in our text is one of a child growing up, moving on to another stage of development.  I do not believe this ever stagnates in the life of the Follower of Jesus, viz., one never matures to a point in which growth and further development is unnecessary.

I was standing next to a person one time who was confronted with an immediate difficult decision involving another person.  She said in her very characteristic fast speech, "What should I do?---- maybe group up."  She was really talking with herself, and consequently answered herself, an answer which was indeed the right answer.   

Maybe at times the weariness of life overwhelms you, family concerns, health issues, unfulfilled dreams, abandonment by friends.  But, as Paul, we too, "press on."  What really is the alternative?  Give up?  Run?  Try to escape?  But that leads to destruction of ourselves and those around us.  Consider, therefore, carefully our text:  "Surely I have composed and quieted my soul; like a weaned child rests against his mother" (NASB); The Amplified says, "[ceased from fretting]."  The NLT says, "Instead, I have calmed and quieted myself, like a weaned child who no longer cries for its mother's milk.  Yes, like a weaned child is my soul within me."  I am still His child, but I grow to another "stage" in His purposes for me.  I grow into His purposes for His Church, "til we all come to...a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro...," that we, "may grow up in all things into Him who is the head---- Christ"!

Father, in Jesus' Name, may it be so in my life.  Amen.
***********
New Articles at:     apf327.blogspot

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 1


Blog Archive