Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, April 8, 2010

What is Your "Delight?"

"Burnt offering and sin offering You did not require....I delight to do Your will, O my God, and Your law is within my heart." (From Psalm 40:6 & 8)

Preachers have so often taught and referred to our text as a "Messianic Psalm" that it is easy to forget it was also David's
commitment to the Living Triune God.  The Message says, "Being religious, acting pious-- that's not what you're asking for.  You've opened my ears so I can listen....I read in your letter what you wrote about me....That's when God's Word entered my life, became part of my very being,"---------------- body ("business aspect of the church"), soul (thinking), and "spiritual," whatever that may be.

Eric Liddell's statement, "When I run, I feel His pleasure," is Biblical Covenantal living.  Life in Jesus Christ is not just, "I feel His pleasure" when I worship, or when I am "in His Presence," or, when I am sharing "spiritual things" with some friend.  It is when I go to work, go to school, pay my taxes, say a kind word to a person in a store. 

I can testify to Liddell's statement in my life in so many instances.  Even in those dark, rainy, or cold snowy Berlin days, when I was out on the streets praying for the nation and praying for, "
Your Kingdom come.  Your will be done," praying for the prophetic place in God's economy which is that city's, I remember writing to someone, "I feel His pleasure."  Maybe others thought I was really not doing any "work," not doing anything which contributed to "the common good," not earning our "missionary support."  But when the call came and during that ensuing year, I could say, "I come; in the scroll of the book it is written of me.  I delight to do Your will, O my God." 

The basis of a person's response to the call of Jesus Christ is, "
Your law is within my heart."  Delight in His Will, His Word, "within my heart," took us to Berlin, Eastern Europe during the "Iron Curtain" years, serving Christ's people for over 46 years------  and I pray takes me everywhere the rest of life, just living, serving, enjoying a day with family------------------------- just being.

Father, in Jesus' Name, "
My ears You have opened....I delight to do Your will."  Amen.
*******************************
Article about Eric Liddell at: www.apf327.blogspot.com

When an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive