Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, March 13, 2009

An Interpretation of a "Difficult" Text

"And He said to them, 'When I sent you without money bag, knapsack, and sandals, did you lack anything?'  So they said, 'Nothing.'  Then He said to them, 'But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.'" (Luke 22:35, 36)
 
This text has been a "problem" for many Christians over the centuries. Adam Clarke, the 18th and 19th century English Methodist minister, who is most notable for his commentary work, wrote of our text, "I must here confess that the matter about the swords appears to me very obscure.  I am afraid I do not understand it, and I know of none who does."  Well, I hope I don't seem too presumptuous, but as I read our text the other day, I had a "take" on the passage.
 
I have heard much emphasis over the years concerning the "poverty" of Jesus and the disciples, how Jesus sent them out with nothing, to live as sort of Franciscan monks.  I also have heard the humanists mock the idea of going to war with the question, "What would Jesus do?  You can't find a justification for war in His teachings."  But our text inserts a little difficulty to the "poverty" and pacifist mentality in the Church.  Here Jesus seems to be saying that there will be a need for money and swords in the economy of the Kingdom.  If you consider the Church throughout the centuries, indeed, your own life, you will see that money and war have played a huge role in the sustenance, propagation, and maintenance of the Kingdom.
 
Only the God-Breathing Word will give you understanding.  We all have our prejudices and agenda to propagate.  My prayer is that whatever I may have will decrease with increasing rapidity. 
 
Father, in Jesus' Name, "Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law."  Amen.
*****************************************
Illiteracy comes from the neglect of:    www.antipasprayforce.blogspot.com         
 
"Looking Unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive