Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, March 21, 2008

"Alas! and Did My Savior Bleed....For Such A Worm As I?"

"Then one of the criminals who were hanged blasphemed Him, saying, 'If You are the Christ, save Yourself and us.'"  (Luke 23:39)
 
That's exactly what Jesus was doing.  The poor thief did not realize that in Jesus' death was his life.  If Jesus had saved His Life, we would have lost ours.  His Life is Life.  His Life is our life.  The Judean border was just minutes away.  A few hours before, Jesus could have escaped the Jewish leaders, the Romans, all.  "Nevertheless, not my will, but Thine be done."  It was, and you and I are "saved," forgiven of all sin, healed, made whole, delivered from judgment and the fires of Hell, and on our way to Heaven because our Savior, our King did not attempt to save His Life, or save face by demonstrating His Godhead Power in coming "down from the Cross."  Those were six very agonizing hours on that Roman cross, watching many of the people to whom He had shown love and compassion, now cowering in the background, disowning Him, fearful for their own lives-----and Father's Face, skies darkening, thunder------------ all because of me!  
 
But today, what of you and me?  I tell you that in the days ahead there will be others saying to us what was said to Peter in the cold air around that fire.  "You also were with Jesus of Galilee."  What will your response be?  Would else can my response be?--------

Alas! and did my Savior bleed?
And did my Sovereign die?
      Would he devote that sacred head
      For such a worm as I?

[Thy body slain, sweet Jesus, thine,
And bathed in its own blood,
While all exposed to wrath divine
The glorious Suff'rer stood!]

Was it for crimes that I had done
He groaned upon the tree?
Amazing pity! grace unknown!
And love beyond degree!

Well might the sun in darkness hide,
And shut his glories in,
When God, the mighty Maker, died
For man, the creature's sin.

Thus might I hide my blushing face,
While his dear cross appears;
Dissolve my heart in thankfulness,
And melt my eyes to tears.

But drops of grief can ne'er repay
The debt of love I owe;
Here, Lord, I give myself away;
'Tis all that I can do
.     !

 




Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL Home.

Blog Archive