Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, June 1, 2020

Have You Ever Noticed This "Reasoning?"

"By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and do His commandments."  (1 John 5:2, NASB)

You would think it should be the other way around.  "When we love God and do His commandments", only then can we, "....love the children of God."  Not so.

"The Word of God," is telling us here that I simply do not love you, if what I call "love" is not rooted in my love for, and obedience to our Father in our Lord Jesus Christ.  If people do not love the Living Triune God and, "do,"viz., obey, "His commandments," their, "I love you," is meaningless, empty talk.  

This is another example that goodness, righteousness, love, etc., do not originate in you and me.  All is only in Jesus Christ and our accompanying love and surrender/obedience to Him.  

Father, in Jesus' Name, thank You for this "fact check" on my, "love of the brethren."  Amen.

Blog Archive