Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, February 14, 2020

"O My Lord, How Can I?..."

"So he said to him, 'O my Lord, how can I save Israel?  Indeed my clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my father's house.'"  (Judges 6:15)

Gideon was just like you and me; yes, he was.  He had his doubts, his questions, and his fleece.

Leave the Sunday School class for a moment, that place where too many took away a "fairytale" aspect of the Bible and Jesus' dealings with humanity through the centuries.  There is no indication, for instance, that Samson was 6 foot 5, weighed 275 pounds and had a 70 inch chest.  His anointing was the Lord God, not his muscles.  Moreover, when Jesus called Moses from, "the bush," Moses did not have white hair and his face did not glow.  Moses, the mighty deliverer of Israel, began his "ministry" by telling God, "Please send someone else.'"  The response of the Godhead to Moses?  "What is that in your hand?"  

Away with the life of, "O, my Lord, how can I?...I am the least...."  That sounds humble, but it's really a desire to escape "the call."  A reason Gideon made the great "Hall of Fame" of faithful witnesses to Jesus Christ is that after the doubts, the fleece laying, and fears, he walked in the same obedience as the others.  Instead of, "O, my Lord, how can I?" or, "Please send someone else", what ruled in Gideon is what ruled in Saul of Tarsus in his response to Jesus, "LordWhat will You have me to do?"   

Father, in Jesus' Name, I confess that at times I have been like the "wrong" Gideon.  May I be the obedient one.  Amen.

Blog Archive