Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, November 12, 2019

What Was Your "Spain?"

"But now that there is no more place for me to work in these regions, and since I have been longing for many years to visit you, I plan to do so when I go to Spain."  (Romans 15)

I seriously doubt that this passage is underlined in most Bibles.

How many plans have you made in your life time which didn't "work out?  Paul, being the missionary that he was, naturally wanted to get to Spain, "It has always been my ambition to preach the Gospel where Christ was not known....So after I have completed this task.., I will go to Spain and visit you on the way."  The Bible gives no indication that he ever made it there.

I have written about our text before, but sometime when I read it I think of the so many people I have known over the years who have spoken of "disillusionment," which is code for, "I didn't get my way in life."  So many people who Follow Jesus Christ could use the "disillusionment" excuse for giving up.  So many are not where they thought they would be 30 or 40 years ago, or even 20, for that matter.  People who worship "goals" and "plans" need to be very careful.  It is a desire to control one's life, not a desire to, "follow the Lamb wherever He goes."

We need to always remember that even though "the best laid plans" do not come to fruition, our Lord Jesus, yes, our Lord/King, has been guiding our "ship."  It has taken quite a bit of grace for some of us, the Don Quixotes of life.  Praying and living, "Thy Kingdom comeThy will be done in earth as it is in Heaven", should be fundamental Kingdom living.  I'm fairly certain that Paul at some time said something like, "Well, that didn't work out.  'Lead on, O King Eternal.'"  

Father, in Jesus' Name, thank You for keeping me from too many "spains."  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive