Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, April 5, 2019

"You Are The Light...That...Cannot Be HIdden"

"You are the light of the worldA city that is set on a hill cannot be hiddenNor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket...."  (Matthew 5:14, 15a)

Sometimes "humility" can be code for, "I just want to be left alone," or just timidity.  Many people who say, "Now don't look to me; only look to God," are just hiding from scrutiny.  You and I are called to a life which, "....is set on a hill..," and that life, which is in Jesus Christ, "....cannot be hidden", try as we may.  Beware!  They will "find" us.

Our Lord Jesus is telling us in today's text that you and I are not to live a life of, "Hide him behind the cross," but rather a life on public display------- on the cross.  The Church of Jesus Christ is, "A city that is set on a hill...."  Jesus saved us from sin (from ourselves) to put us on public display.  It is as though Jesus is saying to the world, "Look at what I can do for you!"

I know; most of us probably think, "Well, I don't know if He really wants to display that!"  But He does.  Maybe our ideas of perfection, good, great example are not always the same as Jesus'.  As we abide, live, dwell dependently in Jesus, submit to His Words, trusting only Jesus in our salvation, His light in us, shining to the world will somehow come through. 

Father, in Jesus' Name, I pray that I would not try to avoid the, "hill," and the, "basket."  Amen.
*******************************
Please pray for my time in DC, April 9.  If you have anything or anyone I can pray for, let me know. 

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive