Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, January 24, 2019

"My Delight"--"My Counselors"

"Your statutes are my delight; they are my counselors." 

(Psalm 119:24, NIV)

Sarah's test results were all negative.  Thanks to any who have been praying for us.

I confess to some worrying in this time.  Have you ever noticed that the "closer home" something "hits," the more this is true?  I can confess also, however, that a couple of days ago I had a "strange" sense of peace.  I know someone was praying this specifically for us, yet I also had our text to add to my sanity.

First, the psalmist says that, "The Word of God," is his, "delight."  If one does not find, "delight," in Jesus' Words, one won't read Jesus' Words.  The Word translated, "delight," is from a Word which means, "enjoyment, pleasure."  This is a surprise to those who believe reading the Bible is a religious duty, laborious.  I caution you, though, to be careful as to what we might call, "delight, enjoyment, pleasure."  If these words are defined by a humanist culture, Hollywood, hedonists, then confusion may arise at the psalmist's assertion.  Do I get goose pimples when I read Leviticus 14?  No.  But I find delight there because those Words are, "the Words of God," Himself.

Then the psalmist lays claim to, "The Word of God," as his, "counselors."  These past couple of weeks I refused to do what Patton said some of his fellow officers did too often, "take counsel of their fears."  Our fears are very, very poor counselors.  Only, "God-Breathed," Words can counsel us and impart peace.  Here is some great counsel from Jesus, "Who is our Peace," and, "Wonderful Counselor....Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to youI do not give to you as the world givesDo not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."  We would have every reason to, "be troubled," and, "afraid," if it were not for the, "Faithful and True," One Himself, Jesus Christ.  Read the Bible, the very, "Words of God."  They may not always "feel" good, but they always do good. 

Father, in Jesus' Name, thank You for Your mercy and grace.  Amen.
***************************
Remember that you can always read the devotionals at: apfdevotionals.blogspot.com
Sometimes when I discover a mistake, I go to the site to correct it.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive