Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Here Is How To Get, "Great Gain"

"For we br0ught nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it."  (1 Timothy 6:7, NIV)

Nothing can be more clear, albeit disconcerting, than this.  This is a sobering "Word" for all of us, especially for all hoarders.  We started with nothing; we will end with nothing.  I know; sounds very primitive, but facts are facts.  

The context of today's passage is a rebuke to people who think that, "godliness is a means to financial gain."  There is too much in Christian radio and television, however, which, at least covertly, asserts this.  Among their promises to people who give is, well, "....financial gain." 

1 Tim. 6:6 says, "But godliness with contentment is great gain."  We can define, "godliness," as total surrender and obedience to Jesus Christ.  If I am content in my relationship in Jesus Christ, I indeed have, "great gain."  The opposite is the thinking of most people.  They are not content because they want more and more and more.  Be careful of those who always talk about favor; it usually implies, "....a means to financial gain," and other "gains."  We simply just cannot "gain" more than Jesus Christ in us and we in Him. 

Hebrews 13 tells us, "Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content (literally, 'be satisfied,' or say, It's 'enough') with what you have, because God has said, 'Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.'  So we say with confidence, 'The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid What can mere mortals do to me?'"  You can sum up, "godliness with contentment," in the Words, "The Lord [Jesus Christ] is my helper; I will not be afraid...."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I thank You for reminding me today what is true, "contentment."  I say with the ancient, "Be Thou My vision, O Lord, of my heart."  Amen.
****************************
A couple of weeks ago our doctor ordered more tests for Sarah.  Please pray for these tests on January 24.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive