Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, November 28, 2018

"When I Remember---- You...."

"When I remember You on my bed, I meditate on You in the night watches."  (Psalm 63:6)

This literally happened to me early this morning, and it was glorious.

Among family and some friends, the subject came up over the Thanksgiving holiday of age, time, even our mortality.  No, it wasn't "morbid" talk; it was, however, rather sobering.  I remember thinking at the time that people who are three quarters of our personal and ministry support are older than we.  The natural course of thought would be, What happens if they go before me? 

My current "blitzkrieg" reading has me in the Book of Psalms.  The Psalms are full of calling you and me to, "remember."  Now "faith" people will never mention that they have had at times concern about "provision," mostly because they are too proud to show any "weakness," i.e., "lack of faith."  Pride is a stupid commodity, isn't it?  Regardless, this morning I woke up with Jesus reminding me of the "miraculous" provision over our almost 55 years of serving Him.  There is the "first" miracle provision when we had been married less than two years.  If you read these devotionals with any regularity, you know the story.  I can never forget the absolute awe of Jesus' Faithfulness which overwhelmed me. 

Then there were the days when I was traveling up to five times a year behind the Iron Curtain; most missions were between one and two months at a time.  We had just bought a new house; all three of our children were in a Christian School (which was not discounted, by the way); we had two cars.  Then there were the airfares, the car rentals, sometimes hotels, food, etc., etc.  Yet, we never missed a tuition payment, a car payment, nor house payment, and, I never was unable to serve the Church in Eastern Europe because of a lack of funds.  When I would look at our finances, there were many times when I just was, "O, Lord, My God, when I in awesome wonder...."

My "remembrance" this morning led to, "I meditate on You...."  Notice, "....on You," not just "attributes" etc., but, "on You," the Blessed Trinity in Jesus Christ.  It is Jesus Who is in and through all of the above testimony, in and through our lives to this moment.  "I will utter dark sayings which we have heard and known.., telling to the generation to come the praises of the Lord [Jesus Christ], and His strength and His wonderful works that He has done," said the psalmist so long ago.  He later calls us to remember, "Marvelous things He did....He divided the sea....He split the rocks in the wilderness, and gave them drink in abundance like the depths."  He, "rained down manna on them to eat."  Remember? 

My friend in Jesus Christ, forgive me for this long exhortation, but I want to encourage you today to be a person of remembrance, "....I remember You....I meditate on You."  Remembering Jesus', will take us through the "doubts and fears assail." 

Father, in Jesus' Name, all I can say is, Shame on me if I ever fail to, "....remember You."  Amen.
********************************
I plan to be in DC when the humanists take over the US House of Representatives.    

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive