Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, November 30, 2018

Proverbs 1-20

"In mercy and truth atonement is provided for; and by the fear of the Lord one departs from evil....The fear of the Lord leads to life; then one rests content, untouched by trouble."  (Proverbs 16:6 & 19:23)

I read the first 20 chapters of Proverbs this morning.  If you have never done something like that, I highly recommend it.  I must confess, though, that conviction did manifest.  

Those Words speak of the wise and foolish, the rich and the poor, the worker and the sluggard, wisdom, understanding, knowledge, and, "The fear of the Lord."  The latter phrase appears at least 15 times in the Book.  I took note that the discussion of, "fear," in our texts is preceded by, "In mercy and truth atonement is provided for...."  This should always "color" everything we read in the Bible, every theological discussion, every service we offer to others in the Name of Jesus, that our Lord Jesus Christ is the Atonement for our sins, "and not for ours only but also for the whole world."  

I also took particular note that the one who walks in, "the fear of the Lord...departs from evil."  Too often people try to figure out what, "the fear of the Lord," means rather than how we can know that we are so living.  Here our Lord Jesus tells us, "one departs from evil."  And notice the powerful promise of 19:23, "leads to life-- rests content, untouched by trouble."  Maybe the "seeker friendly" folks would speak more of, "The fear of the Lord," if they just took note of the blessing therein.  One translation says, "so that one may sleep satisfied...."  Another says, "....will abide in satisfaction."  Then there is the great promise, "untouched by trouble."  There are various translations, of course, but we know that this does not mean that we will never see, "trouble."  Yet the promise tells me that even though, "trouble," comes my way, "I will fear no evil, for Thou art with me,... untouched," by it, viz., it will not defeat me, destroy me.

Just consider your walk in Jesus Christ and you will recall that, "The fear of the Lord," is not popular theology.  Apparently, the Godhead does not think that way.  There are powerful promises to those who walk in, "The fear of the Lord."  Maybe along with "declarations," and "speaking over," and "believing for," and "faith seminars," we should consider Psalm 34:11, "Come, you children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the Lord."

Father, in Jesus'  Name, I confess that we are a people who do not really want to consider this.  Today, I pray for a change of heart---- to have Your Heart."  Amen.
*********************************
I have received several requests for "year end" contributions from organizations.  One request said that people give 70% of all charitable giving during December.  I also saw a report that a certain news anchor receives $23,000,000.00 per year.  I thought, I wonder how much someone would be willing to pay for my devotionals.
Smiling face with halo

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive