Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, August 9, 2018

"Your Statutes (Words) Are My Songs...."

"Your statutes are my songs in the house of my pilgrimage."  (Psalm 119:54, NASB)

We can forget that the Book of Psalms is a book of words to sing.  Most of early Presbyterian hymn books were comprised of Psalms.  One author said that, "as tastes in music began to change," well, we all know what happened.

The psalmist says that, "the Words of God," are, "my songs."  I have sung portions of the Bible which are not in the Psalms.  I even used to sing "prophetic words."  Let me write that great statement again, "Your statutes are my songs in the house of my pilgrimage."  This is fellowship, which is defined as, "participation," in our Lord Jesus Christ.  Jesus, "The Word of God," is the song I sing.

Here are some different perspectives on our text using, "words," for "laws," etc. "No matter where I am, Your Words fill me with songs" (CEV).  "Your Words are the songs I sing wherever I am living" (ERV).  "Your Words have become like psalms to me in this place where I am only a foreigner" (GW).  "During my brief earthly life I compose songs about your Words" (GNT).  One more-- "Your Words are the theme of my song during my earthly life," literally, "in the house of my sojourning" (HCSB).

This should be the "theme" of the Twenty-First Century Church.  Nothing wrong with "personal testimony" songs, but they should only be "supplements," not replacements. Jeremiah 15:16 declares, "Your Words were found and I ate them, and Your Words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart; for I have been called by Your Name, O Lord God of hosts."

Father, in Jesus' Name, give me more and more Your Songs.  Amen.

Blog Archive